Thursday 19 April 2012

Let's Go Outside.

The shackles of winter coats are being flung off as the skys start to clear and the sun begins to remind us it exists! Let's go outside!!!




I have always said that people are interesting. So I would like to introduce to you a favourite pastime of mine and the perfect accompaniment for it.

Now many of you will live in towns and cities and on those weekends where shoe shopping isn't an option (Is shoe shopping ever not an option?) and it's too early in the day to be sipping a nice glass of red (Is it ever too early to be sipping a nice glass of red?) I choose to assume you head into the country to enjoy the scenery, or the coast to breathe in the sea air and dream of a less hectic lifestyle. Am I right? Occasionally? As a country dweller I sometimes like to do it backwards. A backwards country dweller?!?! Stop it! Play nice! On a somewhat rare granted, free and sunny morning I have long enjoyed nipping into the city, finding an appropriate bench to prop myself on and people watching. People rushing, people sauntering, people shopping and people trudging. It's nice to guess where they are going and why. Now this may not sound terribly interesting but trust me, when you see some of the people we share our world with you will change your mind. Some will make you laugh, others cringe. You'll sigh in despair and sigh that sigh when you see young love and remember your first. That may be a cringe too actually.

And clothes!!! WOW the clothes that people wear!?!?! There is an amazing variety of tastes out there. Aren't people brilliant?

Over the years, while on my bench or curb I have had cake and buns from all sorts of places, shops and cafes accompanied by fancy lattes and frapuccinos but you know what? Sometimes less is more. I'm going to let you into a little personal secret...I don't like proper tea! An Irish girl who doesn't like tea! Mrs Doyle would be mortified! I do however like ginger tea! Ask my kettle! Most worked piece of equipment in my kitchen. Know what else I like?...DONUTS!!! So off we go. Me, my keepy kup and my donuts. Off to watch the world.

Now its your turn. This is a lovely little recipe for donuts you bake, not fry. We have to watch our figures now dont we?

Go to the cupboards!

175g of butter
200g of caster sugar
2 large eggs
375g of plain flour
3/4 tbsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
250ml of milk

Throw the butter and sugar in a big mixing bowl and mix until creamy. Now add 1 egg and mix a bit more before adding the 2nd and beating again. Creamy buttery, sugary, eggy goodness.

Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda (you could add a pinch of nutmeg if you want) before adding half to the creamy mix and gently fold it in.Chuck the rest in and the milk and fold some more. Nice creamy batter? Good.




Rub a little butter round the inside of your donut tin. This will help them not stick and give a nice crispness to the donut. You've no donut tin? So what. 2/3 fill muffin cases. who says donuts have to be donut shaped?

Bake at 180 celsius for 15-20 minutes to a light golden brown and firm to the touch.

Let them cool for a few minutes before sifting icing sugar over them and maybe a little ground cinnamon.

Everything in this recipe can be successfully replaced like for like with gluten free and/or dairy free produce. It is honestly very difficult to tell the difference. Perfect!




Bag a few up and grab the car keys. I'll see you in the city once I've ironed that tablecloth.


Love and kisses

Suzi. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

We embrace all comments on what we are doing so there is no restrictions. Please show us the same courtesy in return by not being abusive, spamming or writing anything you wouldn't want your own kids to read. I don't want to have to remove this open format. Thanks.